The debates have raged, the discussions have been passionate and some tough decisions have been made and finally, New World is delighted to announce the results of the 2016 Beer & Cider Awards. The Best in Class and Gold Medal winners are now available in New World stores nationwide.
The Best in Class winners are:
- Pale Ale – Epic Pale Ale
- IPA – Epic Armageddon IPA
- European-style Ale – Sparks Brewing Prospector Farmhouse Ale
- British-style Ale – Emerson’s Bookbinder
- American-style Ale – Garage Project Los Lobos
- Lager – Steinlager Pure
- Pilsner – Tuatara Bohemian Pilsner
- Wheat & Other Grain Beer – Moa Southern Alps White IPA
- Stout, Porter & Black Beer – Eagle Brewing Coalface Stout
- Experimental, Aged, Fruit & Flavoured Beer – Kereru Imperial Nibs
- Lower Alcohol & Session Beer – Peroni Leggera
- Apple & Pear Cider – The Hills Cider Company Pear Cider
- Fruit & Flavoured Cider – Good George Brewing Doris
Each of the 458 different beers and ciders from 83 brewers across 13 categories were blind judged in a marathon two-day process by a 15-strong independent panel of beer and cider experts. Overall 40 Gold Medals were awarded, with 13 taking home the overall “Best in Class” award.
Chair of the independent judges, beer writer and author Michael Donaldson, said the quality of entries overall was outstanding and there is no doubt New Zealand breweries were producing world-class brews.