A new era for New World
After 20 years, New World South City is moving across the road into a purpose built, leading-edge supermarket – becoming New World Durham Street’. The new store opened on 8 May 2019.
New World Durham Street will be turning many retail conventions on their head to bring shoppers a superior experience.
The store has 3,600 square metres of space and 160 dedicated car parks and will include a range of features and products including:
- Complete redesign featuring all fresh food departments together in a courtyard
- An extensive, ‘build your own’ salad bar
- Hand crafted pies
- ‘Naked’ produce
- Impressive food inspiration, walk-around deli bar
- Dry aged beef
- Fresh peanut and cashew butter mills
- An Eco Store product refilling station
- A big, genuine international section with an array of products from around the world.
- An expansion on an already impressive range for vegans, gluten free, and increased health and wellbeing products, fresh and meal solutions.
- A temperature-controlled wine storage fridge for high end wines
- An onsite 65-seat café including outdoor seating has a full-service menu, a tasty cabinet selection or customers can purchase food in the supermarket and eat it in the café. They are roasting their own coffee beans.
The store will be the first New World in NZ to have ‘Shop & Go’ in store. Allowing customers to scan their groceries as they shop and then pay at a dedicated terminal.
The store is designed to be as efficient and sustainable as possible with CO2 natural refrigeration systems. An energy monitoring system has been installed to automatically adjust airflow, temperature and lighting as well as provide an optimum internal environment. Also new in store are electronic shelf labels and LED aisle end displays with an emphasis and end goal of zero printing.
Electric car and bike chargers will also be available soon.