Absolute NZ Meat is the Supreme Winner of the inaugural Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards 2017. Their winning product Absolute Angus Porterhouse was named alongside seven category winners representing horticulture, aquaculture, cheese-making, butchery and creators of premium crafted products.
The winners were announced in Auckland this week after a panel of 10 expert food judges tasted more than 150 products from 82 growers, farmers and crafted producers in early March 2017 at the Fresh Factory in Auckland.
Absolute Angus is the brand East Cape farmers Sean and Jodi Brosnahan developed for their pure NZ Angus stud that they sell online via www.absolutenzmeat.com
Other winners are:
- Jersey Girl Organics, Jersey Girl Organic Whole Milk – Outstanding Producer Dairy Primary
- Whitestone Cheese Company, Vintage Windsor Blue – Outstanding Producer Dairy Crafted
- Farm Eighty4, Heirloom Tomatoes - Fresh.co.nz Outstanding Producer Earth Primary
- Fix and Fogg, Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter – Fresh.co.nz Outstanding Producer Earth Crafted
- Absolute NZ Meat, Absolute Angus – Outstanding Producer Paddock Primary
- The Prodigal Daughter, Spicy Sicilian Sausages – Outstanding Producer Paddock Crafted
- Cloudy Bay Clams, Wild Harvested New Zealand Diamond Shell Surf Clams – Label & Litho Outstanding Producer Water Primary
- Keewai New Zealand, Live Freshwater Crayfish – Spirit of New Zealand
Quality of produce was exceptional and therefore the judges took the opportunity to recognise Runners-Up in two categories. Clevedon Valley Buffalo, Buffalo Mozzarella and Wooden Spoon Boutique Freezery, Movie Night Ice Cream were recognised in Dairy. Paneton Bakery, Paneton Flaky Puff Pastry was an Earth Runner-Up.
As well as awarding the products from the judging, the Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards encouraged foodies to vote for their favourites. Therefore the following People’s Choice Awards were made:
- Fix and Fogg peanut butter makers – L’affare Outstanding People’s Choice Producer
- Otago Farmers Market – Outstanding People’s Choice Farmers’ Market
- Farro Fresh Food – Outstanding People’s Choice Specialty Food Store or Supermarket
- Hawke’s Bay – T & G Global Outstanding People’s Choice Food Region
Shoppers will recognise Outstanding NZ Food Producer Awards winners when they buy, as they will carry a gold sticker – a promise of product quality and an acknowledgement that it is the best of the best that New Zealand offers. In March over 50 products from 42 producers were also endorsed for their quality and innovation and these products may carry a black finalist sticker.
Organiser Kathie Bartley says, “it was particularly pleasing to see the quality of New Zealand’s primary produce shine through. One of the drivers for these awards was to celebrate and promote the amazing local produce that Kiwis have on their back door step.”